Honors & Rankings
Best Lawyers in America
- Bradley C. Wright, Charles W. Shifley, Christopher J. Renk, Jon O. Nelson, Joseph J. Berghammer, Joseph M. Potenza, Peter D. McDermott and V. Bryan Medlock are listed as leaders in intellectual property law in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
BTI Consulting Group
- In 2013, BTI Consulting Group ranks Banner & Witcoff 62nd out of 332 law firms in the BTI Client Service A-Team report and nominates Joseph M. Potenza as a 2013 "BTI Client Service All-Star."
- In 2013, BTI Consulting Group also names Banner & Witcoff to its "Innovation Honor Roll" in The BTI Brand Elite: Client Perceptions of the Best-Branded Law Firms 2013 report.
Chambers and Partners
- The 2013 edition of Chambers and Partners named Banner & Witcoff as a top intellectual property law firm. Banner & Witcoff received a top ranking for patent prosecution and litigation in the District of Columbia and a top ranking for intellectual property law in Chicago.
Chicago's Legal Leaders
- Marc S. Cooperman, Timothy C. Meece, Helen Hill Minsker, Jon O. Nelson, Thomas K. Pratt, Christopher J. Renk, Robert H. Resis, Charles W. Shifley and Sheldon W. Witcoff were named to Chicago's Legal Leaders 2013 edition of "Top Rated Lawyers."
- Who Represents America’s Biggest Companies — Banner & Witcoff was named to the 2012 Corporate Counsel survey, “Who Represents America’s Biggest Companies?” The firm was highlighted in the “Kings of IP” and “Litigation Kings” sections and was named for handling IP and litigation work for Fortune 100 companies including Bank of America Corporation, PepsiCo Inc., Comcast Corporation, Honeywell International Inc., and The Allstate Corporation. Overall, the firm was tied with one other law firm for being named as patent prosecution counsel for more Fortune 100 companies than any other U.S. law firm. Banner & Witcoff was also named to the 2013 Corporate Counsel survey, "Who Represents America's Biggest Companies?" The firm was recognized for handling IP litigation and patent prosecution for several Fortune 500 companies, including Kimberly-Clark Corporation and NIKE Inc.
- Patent Litigation Survey — Banner & Witcoff earned a top ranking in Corporate Counsel's 2013 Patent Litigation Survey. The ranking was based on the publication’s research of the total number of patent litigation cases handled in federal district courts in 2012. Banner & Witcoff handled 26 cases and ranked 49th among national law firms. The firm ranked 55th in last year's survey.
Euromoney’s Expert Guides
- Marc S. Cooperman, Dale H. Hoscheit, V. Bryan Medlock Jr., Jon O. Nelson, Joseph M. Potenza and Charles W. Shifley are named to Euromoney’s 2013 Expert Guide to the “World’s Leading Patent Law Practitioners.”
- V. Bryan Medlock Jr. and Helen Hill Minsker are named to Euromoney’s 2013 Expert Guide to the “World’s Leading Trademark Law Practitioners.”
- Helen Hill Minsker is named to Euromoney’s 2013 Expert Guide to "Women in Business Law."
Intellectual Asset Management
- Timothy C. Meece and Fredric M. Meeker are named to the 2012 IAM 300 — The World’s Leading IP Strategists list.
Intellectual Property Today
- The March 2013 issue of Intellectual Property Today listed Banner & Witcoff as a “Top Patent Firm” and ranked the firm No. 1 for design patents.
- The May 2013 issue of Intellectual Property Today listed Banner & Witcoff as a “Top Trademark Firm.”
IP Law & Business
- Who Protects Innovation in America — Banner & Witcoff is named as a top firm in IP Law & Business magazine’s 2010 “Who Protects Innovation in America?” survey. To be on the list, a firm had to be cited by at least three Fortune 100 companies for doing litigation work, four Fortune 100 companies for doing prosecution work or five companies between the two categories. Banner & Witcoff received seven mentions overall.
- Top 50 Under 45 — Robert S. Katz is named as one of the "Top 50 Under 45” intellectual property attorneys by IP Law & Business.
Illinois Leading Lawyers
- Fourteen Chicago-based Banner & Witcoff attorneys were selected as 2012 Leading Lawyers: Joseph J. Berghammer, Scott A. Burow, Marc S. Cooperman, Timothy C. Meece, Helen Hill Minsker, Janice V. Mitrius, Jon O. Nelson, Binal J. Patel, Thomas K. Pratt, Christopher J. Renk, Robert H. Resis, Charles W.Shifley and Pieter van Es.
Managing Intellectual Property
- In January 2013, Banner & Witcoff was recommended and ranked as one of the world's leading patent firms.
- In May 2013, 12 Banner & Witcoff attorneys were recognized in the inaugural edition of "IP Stars": Marc S. Cooperman, Ross A. Dannenberg, John P. Iwanicki, Sarah A. Kagan, Robert S. Katz, Helen Hill Minsker, Darrell G. Mottley, Joseph M. Potenza, Christopher J. Renk, Joseph M. Skerpon, Richard S. Stockton and Bradley C. Wright.
- In October 2013, Helen Hill Minsker and Sarah A. Kagan were selected for the inaugural edition of "IP Stars - Top 250 Women in IP."
National Law Journal
- Banner & Witcoff is named to The National Law Journal's 2012 Intellectual Property Hot List.
- Illinois — Matthew P. Becker, Joseph J. Berghammer, Scott A. Burow, Marc S. Cooperman, Louis DiSanto, Katherine L. Fink, Shawn P. Gorman, Michael J. Harris, Michael L. Krashin, Erik S. Maurer, Timothy C. Meece, Charles L. Miller, Janice V. Mitrius, Jon O. Nelson, Binal J. Patel, Thomas Pratt, Timothy J. Rechtien, Christopher J. Renk, Charles W. Shifley, Jason S. Shull, Richard S. Stockton and J. Pieter van Es were named to the 2013 "Illinois Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars" lists for their work in intellectual property law and intellectual property litigation.
- Washington, D.C. — Robert F. Altherr, Ross A. Dannenberg, Joseph M. Potenza and Bradley C. Wright are named "Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers” in 2013. Joseph M. Potenza was named to the “Top 100 Washington, D.C., Super Lawyers” list in 2012.
- Massachusetts — John P. Iwanicki, Ernest V. Linek and Peter D. McDermott are named 2013 "Massachusetts Super Lawyers" for their work in intellectual property law and intellectual property litigation.
Who’s Who Legal
- Helen Hill Minsker is listed in the 2013 edition of Who's Who Legal for her work in trademark law. Marc S. Cooperman, V. Bryan Medlock and Joseph M. Potenza are listed in the 2012 edition of Who’s Who Legal for their work in patent law.
World Trademark Review 1000
Banner & Witcoff is ranked as a top trademark firm in the 2013 edition of the World Trademark Review 1000, published by IP Media Group. Helen Hill Minsker is also ranked as a world's leading trademark professional in the 2013 edition of the annual guide.